Tuesday 24 April 2012

The Princess

Rehearsals got under way proper for Love's Labour's Lost yesterday. Here's a bit more info about another of one of our actors, Nadia Nadarajah who will be playing The Princess of France

Nadia is relatively new to acting but has been a presenter for BSLBT programmes such as Wicked and Snapshot. In 2010 she won an award for Best Young Director at the International Disability Film Awards for a short film, All Day. She clearly has many talents! 

Here are her thoughts on Shakespeare:

"I first started to learn Shakespeare when I was at school. At this age I could only understand parts of what was written and never the full story. I remember discussing one of the plays orally, in spoken English, but as BSL is my preferred language I was not able to get a better understanding this way.

When I first got involved in translation week with Deafinitely theatre I was very apprehensive. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to fully understand everything that was happening, and just wouldn't "get it."

I was very fortunate to have Andrew Muir and Kate Furby to help with the translation of the play in to BSL. They are excellent at translating in to BSL so that I can fully understand, and for this I owe them a big thank you.

It is amazing to me that Shakespeare wrote this story over 500 years ago,and everything that he expressed at this time is still true today. His views on love and relationships for example, are still the same things that we see and believe to be true in everyday life."

Nadia acting in development workshops for Deafinitely's autumn production, Tanika's Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment